Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wood sign tutorial

Hope you all had a wonderful Valentines Day! With my husband out of town for work the kids and I just hung out and ate way too many sweets!

I also found time yesterday to make something I've been wanting to do for awhile, a wood sign for our kitchen. I've been pinning signs on Pinterest and stalking them on Etsy. I finally decided to just go for it!




I started by giving my board a light coat of white paint. I just used simple craft paint for this project. The white will be the color of my lettering.



I used my Cricut machine to cut out my vinyl letters. They make vinyl specifically for the Cricut machine.  Normally $9.99 at Michael's I used my 50% off coupon to get it for half.
I arranged my letters where I wanted them on the board, then peeled off the backing and adhered them to the board.

Then I painted over top of the letters with the black paint.  Thanks to my youngest for helping out with the photography!





I let the paint dry and then carefully peeled the vinyl letters off. This part was soooo much fun! My girls just stood there watching they were so impressed!



That's it! I was surprised at how smoothly the project went. I kept  waiting for something to go wrong.



Now I just have to get some picture hangers to attach to the back so I can actually hang it on the wall. Right now it's just propped on top of my kitchen cabinets, but I'm really enjoying it there.

Now that I've conquered this sign my head is spinning with more ideas!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!


                                                                           Amy



12 comments:

  1. So cute, Amy! Love the weathered look of this sign! Thanks for stopping by my blog today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks cute. I saw an idea on pinterest where they took pop tabs, and screwed them into the back of the board to use as hooks. I don't know if that makes sense, but maybe you can find it on there. I think I need to do what you did and just take the step to do it and realize its easier than I thought! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you need any special attachment or something for the cricut? My mom has one but knows nothing of vinyl. I want to cut just enough for this project so I don't want to buy my own machine. I'm pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing special needed. Cricut sells their vinyl at the craft store. I cut it with my machine just like I would with paper.
      Amy

      Delete
    2. Wow... Looks beautiful... !! Love the wording you have chosen... ( Though I would prefer 'Closed Daily' for MY Home... ;-) ;-) ... as I aam not much of a cook..).... !!

      Delete
  4. Could I use your instructions to explain to my customers on how to do this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this sign! I might need this for my kitchen :) Thanks for sharing! www.kacountrydecor.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I don't have a cricut, but thought I could use stencils to trace onto dollar store contact paper, then cut them out w/decoupage scissors & follow the remaining instructions...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! I don't have a cricut, but thought I could use stencils to trace onto dollar store contact paper, then cut them out w/decoupage scissors & follow the remaining instructions...just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay...thanks for sharing such an awesome idea. I completed my project but it didn't go so well. I used letters for scrapbooking. And the letters were hard to peel off. However I didn't have to paint board white because Michael's has white painted boards. I had to do extra to clean everything up. But overall I'm pleased with my finished project. Again thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay...thanks for sharing such an awesome idea. I completed my project but it didn't go so well. I used letters for scrapbooking. And the letters were hard to peel off. However I didn't have to paint board white because Michael's has white painted boards. I had to do extra to clean everything up. But overall I'm pleased with my finished project. Again thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually use shelf liner instead of vinyl. So much cheaper and it gets thrown away anyway :)

    Cute project!!

    ReplyDelete