Thursday, July 25, 2013

Not your typical teen girl bedroom

I am finally ready to share my daughter's bedroom makeover with you!

Her room before was fine, but she needed a place to sketch and hold all her art supplies. The trim needed to be painted and I was never happy with the original wall color {way to light}. 

Her requirements were to keep the existing bedding, to have navy blue in the room but not on the walls, a desk, display her collections and trophies, no turquoise or any girly shades of blue!

My requirements were to have some type of focal wall, get rid of the clutter {she's a hoarder}, and keep the cost under $300.




I am happy to report that we are both thrilled with the results. I ended up spending @ $250 on the entire room.



I painted all of the brown trim white and then painted the room in secret passage by Olympic. The darker color in the chevron is leftover paint from our master bedroom elephant skin by Behr.

We also kept the diy underbed storage boxes I made last year, the bedding, and her existing bed. In the future we are hoping to purchase a larger bed for her.


The desk was a garage sale find that I painted white with chalkboard paint on the top.


I covered an inexpensive cork board with fabric.



She had to have these dog behinds we found at Ikea!


The shelf over her desk displays all her favorite things; pet rocks, Celebrity Apprentice collection, solar flowers, art projects, and Hunger Games books!





We brought this dresser up from our family room and I painted on the stripes!




The floating shelves hold all her trophies!


Here is a price breakdown on the room

paint and supplies $35.00
desk $25.00
new frames and artwork $26.00
cork board, fabric, hot glue sticks $25.00
trip to Ikea which includes red desk chair, 3 floating shelves, art display system, dog behinds, misc. $140.00


We spent an entire week sorting and purging before I could even begin painting! She wasn't ready to give up all her toys and stuffed animals so we organized those in her large closet. 

Of course doing her bedroom kind of opened up a can of worms because my youngest daughter decided she would like to move the furniture around in her bedroom {yes, she is a bit like her mother}. Eventually I will be sharing pics of her newly arranged room as well!

Thanks for stopping by today!

Don't forget you can now follow me on instagram!

                                                                                         Amy

linking up to...

35 comments:

  1. what a beautiful room and on a budget! Well done I am sure your daughter will appreciate all the work you've put into it. Congrats to her on all the trophies and medals, it's quite an impressive shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! She is enjoying her new space!

      Delete
  2. I love this room! It's simple yet elegant. Pinning to my community board.
    I would love for you to link up to the Krafty Inspiration Thursday Link Party over at Krafty Cards etc. http://kraftycardsetc.blogspot.com/2013/07/krafty-inspiration-thursday-link-party-1.html
    Thanks for the inspiration!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great room for a young lady! I like that it is a non-traditional color scheme with clean lines and fun patterns. Great job! I'm over at TinySidekick and I'd love for you to pop by!
    Corey @TinySidekick.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makeover! I am 100% convinced that my teenage self would have loved a room like this. :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great room makeover! I love the painted wall and dresser. You did a great job on a small budget! My daughter has the same dog hooks in her room too. : )

    Lori
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I wasn't sure what we were going to do with those dog hooks when she first picked them out, but it ended up working out!

      Delete
  6. This looks fantastic! I love the color combo, great chevron wall too.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sarah
    http://www.creativeramblingsblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your daughters room turned out wonderful! Love the chevron wall detail. It's nice that you were able to achieve such a pretty space while keeping her wishes and yours.
    Thanks for the inspiration,
    Suzanne
    Pieced Pastimes
    PS-Would love to have you link this up to Saturday Sparks. Links are open till Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Her room was truly about compromise. We both ended up getting what we wanted and love the finished product!

      Delete
  8. I am a teen at heart. I love to get inspiration from kid and teen rooms. I love the chevron and stripes. Just awesome. I would love it if you would link this up to my new and improved link party that is going on now.

    http://www.ifitsnotbaroquedesignblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty room! Love the chevron wall! If you get a chance, please link up to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/sunday-linky-18.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. turned out so cute! i love that it's not the typical girly girl room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is definitely no girly girl so her room was a challenge for this girly girl mom! I'm happy she has a room she loves! Thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  11. What a lucky girl! I bet she LOVES it! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love love love her room! Nice job mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE so many things, but chevron pin board and clothes line are super cute! Pinned!
    Very near adding Ads to my blog. Is your IKEA Ad, below your comment area, thru Adsense? That is a company i would pick if possible. I posted DIY Doily Jacket to this weeks parties!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful room! Love the chevron wall!

    Emily @ elizabethjoandesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a cute bedroom! I just love the wall pattern!
    (new follower here)
    Morgaine @ Madcap Frenzy
    P.S. I would love if you would link up any of your awesome posts at my July Totally Tuesday Link Party: http://madcapfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/07/july-totally-tuesday-link-party.html
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! That collage on the wall is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The room turned out fantastic. Perfect for a sports-minded teen girl. Love the chevron wall and striped dresser. Those doggie buns are cute :) Thanks for sharing this at What We Accomplished Wednesdays! Have a super week!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the gallery wall! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful room. I bet she loves it. I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog tonight! Come stop by and grab a featured button! http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2013/08/your-whims-wednesday-123-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW, I am so impressed, I am working a a SMALL table with chevron and it is taking forever and you did a whole wall, AMAZING!! Thank you for linking up at my Paint Party

    Brooke
    Startathome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. HI! Found this post on Whimsey Wed blog hop. I love, love, love this room and want it for myself! Love the chalkboard desk, everything hanging on the walls, and I do love those dog behinds from Ikea......I may need to look for them when I go to Ikea in a few weeks :) Now following via Bloglovin'
    ~Jackie @ <a href="http://thenonmarthamomma.com/>The Non-Martha Momma</a>

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful room, and the room turnout is fabolous! Love the chevron wall.online mattress and bed retailer

    ReplyDelete
  24. the best place for selecting the furniture for your room is Express Bedz

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE the throw pillows! May I ask where you purchased these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pillows we picked up at Target on clearance a couple of years ago

      Delete
  26. wow! I really got to tell you that you really got a lot for only 250$. I could only wish I could get that much done, and in addition design my 16- year old daughters bedroom. I guess it all have to do with bedroom designs for kids these days. Thank you for the share. I will try to come up with something similar for my Hilda.

    ReplyDelete