Monday, April 30, 2012

Fun DIY domino art

Welcome back! I hope you all had an enjoyable weekend! I spent a lot of time shopping with my youngest. This coming weekend is her birthday party and we were busy tracking down all the decorations and items we need for the big day!

Today I am going to be sharing some fun artwork I made as part of my basement makeover. If you haven't been following along my journey to redo our lower level you can catch up herehere and also here!

We use our basement for playing games, family movie nights, eating and scrapbooking! If you look up multipurpose room in the dictionary it will have a picture of our basement! In keeping with the game theme I made some domino art out of scrap pieces of plywood from our garage!




I really LOVE how they turned out! This is the first wall you see when you come down the stairs and I wanted something to really catch your eye, but I also didn't want to spend any money!

We've already established that I pretty much suck stink at explaining things so I tried to take lots of pics as I went along!

I started off by cutting my pieces to size {no they didn't end up being all exactly the same size, but close enough}. I then painted them white and painted the sides black.



I used painters tape to make the line in the middle.



I cut out circles from paper and placed them on the board. I played with them awhile to see what numbers I wanted.



Once I decided on the placement I used a pencil to trace around the circles.



Then I painted in everything with black craft paint.



Lastly I used some of the gray wall paint on a wet rag and wiped it around the boards for a more distressed finish.













Can't wait to finish up all my basement projects and show you the completed room!

Have a great Monday!

Don't forget another Whimsy Wednesday link party will go live tomorrow evening!

                                                                                       Amy






linking up to serenity now

25 comments:

  1. That is just so cool!! You come up with the best ideas! I love "free" projects and this one is awesome!

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do love a free project! Thanks so much for your sweet comment!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. They turned out great. I am sure every time you walk down your stairs, they'll make you smile.

    amy @ whilewearingheels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm really loving them! Thanks so much for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Fun, fun wall art for a basement! Very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these!!!! Just featured on my facebook page!

    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Loopy-Loop-Creations/236540319740508

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how it turned out too!! Looks fabulous. Thanks so much for linking up at Romance on a Dime. It's fun to see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So clever - I love it! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! And so do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so original!!! It's great!!

    Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SUCH a great idea! I love how they turned out. And I love how you used what you had to make it. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. These turned out so fantastic! I love when I can go into the garage and make something out of the scrap pile. I'm also impressed with your steady hand with the black paint and brush. I am not that good...
    Great job. Can't wait to go and check out the rest of your family room. have a happy weekend!
    Tausha
    sassystyleredesign.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dominoes are becoming quite popular right now. These are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is soo cool! Love it! Thanks so much for sharing at Homemade By You! Hope to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are awesome! I love how they turned out!!!

    Thanks for sharing them!

    --Katie

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun!
    THanks for linking up Amy!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're going to be featured tomorrow!
    www.raisingoranges.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am featuring your fun art at todays link party! Wahoo!!

    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/05/thursdays-temptation-17-fabulous.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete