Monday, April 23, 2012

Basement progress bookcase makeover

Happy Monday everyone! Today I am celebrating my 100th blog post! Whoo hoo! It's hard to believe I've been pouring my heart out over the Internet for this long! Thank you to all my followers for making me feel like this is something I really should be doing. Thanks for listening and hanging in there with me!

Now on to my newest project...remember last week I shared that I was going to begin a fun makeover on our finished basement. If you missed phase one good bye yellow paint hello gray you can catch up here. Today I moved on to my bookcases. These laminate babies aren't the prettiest, but they have been around forever {I think they are older than my kids} and are super durable and practical. We use them for housing our DVD's and games. Let me give you a little peek!




This is what they looked like last week.




I began today by clearing everything off the shelves. Then I removed the cardboard like backing. I used some fabric I fell in love with from Hobby Lobby and covered the backing with it. Then I simply nailed the backing back onto the bookshelves. All in all I think it took me about 90 minutes to complete both bookcases.



Tomorrow I'm planning on organizing the shelves. I might make a run to Ikea to hunt down some storage boxes to hide house all our DVD's. So check back tomorrow for an update plus another Whimsy Wednesday link party will begin Tuesday evening.

Happy Monday!

                                                                                          Amy



23 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this tutorial! I am all about refurbishing furniture rather than purchasing new... I'll have to do this! Thanks so much for sharing at my linky party (stringtownhome.blogspot)... Great post!

    Have a great week!
    heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bookcases look amazing! Can't wait to see them full of books and accessories! Love the wall color too.

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! Such a difference : )

    I'd love for you to stop by and share at my party!
    http://www.cherishedbliss.com/2012/04/craft-and-tell_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am lovin' this! Great transformation! They look great with the new wall color. Angie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks AWESOME! I love the pattern! I can see pops of color just popping off of that background!
    Thanks for linking up! Visited from Bowl Full of Lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie here! I absolutely loved this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog :) MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the bookcase make-over. I'd love to see how it looks with the books back in it.

    I'm so glad you shared at Romance on a Dime!! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so great!!! I love the pattern, so pretty. I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great day!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome i love love love the pattern

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow what a transformation! It looks great. Thanks for sharing over at The Winthrop Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your nice comments! I am so in love with the new bookcases! I love to just sit and look at them! Weird?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job. I love the idea of using fabric as the background. It turned out amazing. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is sooooo pretty! I love black and white together (just did a post on it) and that pattern is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you think that's a cluttered a mess, o boy I'd be in trouble. I love the print you chose. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi,

    I followed you over from Whimsy Wednesday Link Party. Wow these look amazing! I can't believe what a little fabric does to change the look. Thanks for sharing.

    I would love to invite you to share this, and any other posts you would like to, at my Creative Thursday Link Party at www.michellestastycreations.blogspot.com.

    Have a great day,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great new look! Very sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  17. turned out great! it really makes such a difference. i'm planning to do this to our playroom bookshelves soon. we'd love for you to link this to our Sunday Best party going on right now. http://griffithsrated.blogspot.com/2012/04/sunday-best-42912.html
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the new gray and the fabric backing! The new room is going to look great! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting changes. love the back cover.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is awesome! Love the fabric backing! Congrats or your 100th post :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how just by adding fabric on the back really updated your bookcases! Thanks for sharing this at Sunday Blog Love! You have such a nice home

    ReplyDelete