Monday, July 2, 2012

A room for a teenager

Happy Monday!

I am now officially the mother of a teenager {my son turned thirteen last week} and I want to share his new teen room with you!

When we moved into our home about thirteen months ago we just put all my son's furniture and things from our previous home into his current room. He didn't complain or really care for that matter. As long as he had all his STUFF he was a happy camper.

Before his thirteenth birthday rolled around I wanted to makeover his bedroom for him. Nothing crazy or elaborate but just make it more functional and more HIM. I also had to do this on a wee little budget {as usual}. I ended up spending just under $300 total {not too bad}.

Here are the BEFORE pics...not a bad looking room just kinda plain.


Here are the AFTER shots!



I started off by brightening up the room with his favorite color. I didn't have money for a new bed so I just put his box spring and mattress on the floor and the headboard was a diy project! We used his existing bookcases but just took off the top to make them lower and I removed the ugly backing. My husband was kind enough to add some laminate shelves to the computer nook as I like to call it {otherwise known as weird little spot in the room or what was the builder thinking}. An afternoon trip to Ikea provided us with an inexpensive dresser, bedding, pillows, and curtains.

I will back later in the week to share some of the diy projects I did around the room to save some money. Those include the headboard, artwork and fan.

Thanks so much for sticking around to see this reveal {it's been a long time, okay about a month in the making}. I love all my readers and enjoy reading all of your comments.

On a side note I do try to respond to all your comments by email. I'm never sure if I should respond here on blog or through email. I don't have time to do both so I usually do email to ensure you can read my response.

Have a wonderful Monday!

                                                                                            Amy

Linking up this week...

18 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL. I'm redoing my sons room and he loves the color that you used. What is the paint color called?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your teenager appreciates all your effort and is enjoying the updated environment..Great job Mom!
    Jonell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice. I love the green and the art that you made.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute transformation. I'm sure you teenager is thrilled!

    Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your son's room. I painted my teenage son's room and bathroom in the same color scheme last year. I just love that shade of green. I'll bet your son loves his new room. Great job! Thanks for linking up to our All Star Block Party.

    Shasta @ InTheOldRoad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful transformation, especially given you did it on a budget! He must be thrilled with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE that color! great transformation. Thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great transformation. I love the shelves in the computer nook area. They add some storage and get rid of the wasted space. I just like it. A great room for a teen boy. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet your son is thrilled with his updated room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks really cute Amy with all the little touches you added!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone! My son is delighted, well as delighted as a thirteen year old boy can be!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's Party Time over at Debt Free Mommy Blog and you are invited! Please come link up anything related to making your space better at http://debtfreemommyblog.blogspot.com/ and mark your calendars for every Making Space Mondays linky party. Hope to see you there! -Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great room makeover! I hope your son enjoys it for many years to come!!

    We are making over the room our just turned 13 year old used to share with his older brother. It is now his alone so we are having a little fun with it. We are just in the beginning stages but hope to have it done before he goes back to school in two weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure your son has an opinion about his room now - it looks great! Love the green on the walls, and the headboard looks really good. Proof that you don't have to spend a lot of money to make a big change in a room - some paint and creativity is all you need :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy, happy birthday to your son! Love the fan upgrade! The room came out great. Thank you so much for linking up to our party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amy, what a great teen room you created! Love the colors and the details and the stripes on the ceiling fan ...

    Thank you so much for sharing at our Crazy for Color link party!

    :)

    Linda
    www.itallstartedwithpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Any teen would love this cool space! It truly is "EPIC"!!

    So glad you joined our Color party!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete