Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Musical furniture

Do you ever feel inspired to just start moving your furniture around? "This might look good in that room" you think to yourself.

Happens to me way too much and it drives my husband CRAZY! So recently when he was on a work trip I decided to do a little rearranging.

We have a dresser that has been with us for awhile. In our last house it was used in my daughter's nursery, then in my craft space, and lastly as a television console in our basement. 
When we moved to our new home I didn't really know what to do with it so I just had it put in our master bedroom. It has sat in our bedroom {empty} for the past year.

Then it hit me one day. Paint that old thing and put it in the family room. It would be perfect for storing all the kids library materials and our collection of magazines.

So my very strong eleven year old daughter and I hauled that thing downstairs. I set up shop in our kitchen {it was way too hot outside} and gave it a fresh coat of white paint. 

Before...



During...


After...


Before painting I gave everything a light sanding. Then I painted the piece and then sanded it again around the edges so some of the black underneath would show through.


I had to have this picture frame when I saw it at Hobby Lobby. $19.99 plus frames were 50% off. Still have to get a photograph in there.

 I am really happy with how my family room is coming together, slowly but surely. The only problem now is the furniture that was here before needs a new home. Everything has temporarily been moved to the living room which currently looks like a garage sale gone badly.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings about my musical furniture addiction. This blog is better than therapy!

                                                                                      Amy







11 comments:

  1. I am currently playing musical furniture too. Only I have no strong helper...the dogs aren't any help. Love the look of the dresser now and that frame is wonderful!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same thing and it drives my hubby crazy too! I love the dresser painted white. All the extra storage space is great too!

    Lori
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'm constantly moving stuff around.... I get bored with things when they are left alone... and the dresser looks wonderful! Thanks for linking up at my party! Have a great week!

    Your Newest Follower, :)
    Heather
    Stringtown Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny. A blog is better than therapy. I love your musical furniture. What a great before and after. I am still not quite brave enough to try a furniture project. I also adore the glass jars you have your shells in. Really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, also, play musical furniture. My husband expects it by now, the cats enjoy new adventures, but the dogs do not like it at all! Good choice on the color change!
    Came over from Primp.

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Moving things around keeps things interesting and makes everything feel fresh again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear that I am not alone in my addiction! If feels great to have my own support group!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We do this ALL the time. It's really bad when you get your extended family in on it. I have my brother's lawn furniture, he has my ottoman, we both have things from our parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I love it! So pretty! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from Simple Home Life. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-5.html Wishing you a grand weekend. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! And you are not the only one playing musical furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete