Friday, July 27, 2012

Dining room update

Remember last week when I shared all those beautiful dining rooms with you?

Well, I was finally inspired to start working on my own dining area.

The first thing I did was remove everything except the table and chairs from the room. Then I patched and sanded my swiss cheese walls. I was really on the fence about a new color but finally decided to keep it the same {I really love the color and just painted it a year ago}.

Only one tiny problem.

No more paint to touch up the walls with.

So I took the paint can lid to store and purchased more paint.

Here comes the problem...that paint didn't quite match the existing paint. It was just a tad off.

So I had to paint the entire room with the new {same} color. {confused yet?}

My family thought I had gone MAD. But really the paint didn't match. I know you all would have done the exact same thing! Right?

So my dining room is now freshly painted in the same color!

Once I got the walls painted I turned my attention to the brown trim around the room.

If you've been with me for awhile you will remember that I've been battling the brown trim in our home. I've managed to get most of our downstairs trim painted white over the past six months.

I began by giving the trim a light sanding and dusting.

I used painters tape to tape off the walls. To protect the carpet {yes, I know... yuck, carpet in the dining room} I used pieces of cardboard. I simply shoved pushed the cardboard underneath the baseboards.

I used a paint and primer in one. Still took about four coats to do the trick.

And presto! Nice beautiful white trim!

The room already looks so much brighter!

I'm not going to lie, painting baseboards and trim sucks is NOT fun. It does take some time and patience, but it is soooo worth the effort.

Now if only I could  get some volunteers to do the rest of my house!

Have a FUN weekend everyone!

                                                                                       Amy

3 comments:

  1. I totally understand what you are saying! It *almost* makes you not want to hang anything up for fear of changing your mind later and having t patch/try to paint/then repaint. Or maybe that's just my fear:)

    Jessica
    stayathomeista.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I change my mind a lot too and have swiss cheese walls all over my house! It drives my hubby crazy! I totally understand why you re-painted the whole room the same color. The white trim looks amazing! It totally changes the whole look of the room. I can't wait to see the reveal!

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I knew I wasn't the only crazy out there!

      Delete