Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ceiling fan makeover

Hope you all had a wonderful Fourth of July! We spent the holiday camping out and swimming! The weather was crazy HOT with high temperature of 103 degrees. It's nice to be back in the air conditioning again!


If you've been following along with me this week I've been sharing my son's bedroom makeover and some of the projects I completed in his room.

Tuesday I shared how I made his headboard. Today I am showing off his ceiling fan!

Let me just start by stating that I'm not a huge FAN {ha ha} of  ceiling fans. When we moved here all of the bedrooms already had fans in them. I thought about removing them for about ten seconds, but then my husband and kids reminded me how hot the upstairs bedrooms were at our old house with NO ceiling fans in them. So the fans stayed and I've wondered ever since what I could do with them.

Then I stumbled upon this fan on Pinterest. It belongs to Jennifer from Dimples and Tangles. She used spray paint and fabric on hers to give it a one of a kind look!


I was so inspired that I ran out to the garage and grabbed my black paint and some painters tape.


My husband was at work and I didn't know how to remove the fan blades or have the patience to try to figure it out so I just grabbed a stool to stand on. I used painters tape and just taped off my sections for stripes. I didn't measure I just eye balled it! Then I painted on my black stripes with a paintbrush and removed the painters tape.





It took about an hour to complete and didn't cost a thing to update his boring fan! The only problem is now my youngest wants me to paint her fan as well!

Have a great Thursday and stay COOL!


                                                                                Amy




18 comments:

  1. What a fun idea! I would have never thought to paint a fan!

    -Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That came out so cute! The fan actually looks stylish now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you painted the ceiling fan is both fun and clever!
    Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea--I haven't seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! What a great way to bring a bit of color to the ceiling and add some whimsy to a room. Thanks so much for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun! It really pulls the room together! Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sooo much FUN!! Yay!!!!

    Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! I can't wait to see what you link up this evening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will be featuring this tonight during What I Whipped Up Wednesday. :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much everyone! I love that something so simple can have such a big impact on the room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! Adding stripes on the blades of the ceiling fan certainly made it more interesting. I'm just curious as to how the fan looks like when it is turned on. Is it advisable to stare at the blades while it is turning, or will it cause dizziness on the part of the onlooker?


    Staci Severns

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE what you did to the fan! It looks Amazing! Great job. I am featuring this at todays link party!
    http://twoyellowbirdsdecor.blogspot.com/2012/07/thursdays-temptation-26-fabulous.html
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ceiling Fans have come a long way. They are both so pretty. All three are beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I cannot wait to pass this on to my friend. She has been wanting to do this forever! It looks adorable, great work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What type of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regular wall paint I had from painting some bathroom cabinets!

      Delete