Monday, October 8, 2012

Fabric covered frames

After taking a week off from blogging {sick kids, projects, blogging writers block} I'm back today to show you what I did get done last week!




I made these cute fabric covered picture frames from clearance frames I found at Target a few months ago.

They started off like this.


Did you see that price? $1.24 folks. I knew when I saw these I could do something with them so I grabbed the only three they had left. They sat around for awhile until I knew what I wanted to do.

I began by taking everything apart and painting the sides and front black. My daughter asked me why I painted the front if I was covering it up with fabric. Good question, some of the fabrics were thin and I didn't want to see any of the design through it, I also knew there would be places the fabric wouldn't cover.


After the paint dried I traced the frame onto my fabric.


I don't have any photos of next steps because my hands were kind of sticky and I honestly just forgot!

A tip I picked up somewhere on Pinterest was to coat the fabric in modpodge before cutting to help avoid frayed ends.
I didn't have modpodge so I used my kids Elmers white glue {kind of the same thing}. I used a paint brush and lightly put some glue around all the lines where I would be cutting.

After letting the glue dry a couple hours I cut out my fabric.

Once again I used Elmers glue and a paint brush to attach the fabric to the frames. Then I coated the front of the fabric with glue as well.






















I picked up the polka dot fabric flower at Michaels last week for 40% off. So this little project was completed for around $5.00 total!

Can you guess what room I'm hanging these in?


Happy Monday!


                                                                                   Amy




Linking up to these fabulous parties...
thededicatedhousecraft-o-maniacdiyshowoffourdelightfulhomecherishedbliss
adiamondinthestuffromanceonadimemyuncommonsliceofsuburbiaadventuresofadiymomelizabethandco
thewinthropchroniclesabowlfulloflemonssugarbeecraftscornerstoneconfessionsnatural-nester
primpmygirlishwhimshandymancraftywomanthenymelrosefamilycleanandscentsibleallstarblockparty
thediydreamersugaranddotssomedaycraftstwoyellowbirdsdecorthe36thavenueembracingchange
housewivesofrivertonhouseofhepworthslivelaughrowe2805frenchcountrycottageherecomesthesun
lizmariescrappycraftyhappyserenitynowmysimplehomelifecheeriosandlattesitsoverflowing
sixsistersstufftatertotsandjelloshabbynestclassyclutter




14 comments:

  1. Those frames were a great deal and you turned them into something so pretty. Can't wait to see them in your bathroom!

    Lori : )
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! I know I love a good deal. How'd you guess they were going in the bathroom?
      Amy

      Delete
  2. Cute! I love the fabrics you used to cover the frames!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. To save money I just used leftover fabric from other projects and it worked out great.
      Amy

      Delete
  3. How creative! The frames look awesome, what a great idea:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic project! I love the fabrics that you chose for these. They look beautiful. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute. Thanks for the tip about modpodging before you cut the fabric. I'm going to have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. really nice :) i might give this a try!

    huggies***
    smartmomma

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are really cute! I love Target clearance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great project! Love the fabric, too. I have a ton of frames laying around just like this....will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute!! Love it. Thanks for linking up at Romance on a dime!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've covered a lot of frames in scrapbook paper but never fabric. great idea!
    We just started back up our link parties and we would love if you came and linked up at The Humble Brag. Each week, one lucky featured blogger will get one free week of advertising, which mean thousands of ad views a day! Hope to see you there.
    http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-3/

    ReplyDelete