Monday, September 23, 2013

Bright and cheery budget laundry room makeover

Thanks for coming back today to check out my laundry room makeover. I worked hard all weekend to get it completed {plus I had clothes to wash}!
 
Before I jump right to the reveal I want to give you a little background on the room. When we toured our home over two years ago the laundry room was one of the selling features for me. I had dreamed of having a spacious second floor laundry room for over a decade. In our previous home our laundry room was a creepy, dark, unfinished room in the far corner of our basement. So imagine my joy when I saw this second floor laundry room, it even had sunlight!
 
As excited as I was to have this new laundry room the décor wasn't really my taste. I've lived with it for the past couple years because I didn't have the funds to spend on a room that really nobody saw but me. Basically it was at the bottom of my to do list. I finally decided about a month ago that I was going to do the room anyway...funds or no funds it was getting a makeover!
 
Since I'm a stay at home wife and mom I do about 99.99% of the laundry {although I did teach all three of my children how to work the washer and dryer over the summer}. So I figured this is really MY room to do what I want with.
 
So with little to no budget I set out to make this room my own!
 
Brace yourself for the before pics...it became kind of a catch all.
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
I know it was bad...country wallpaper border and window treatment, brown trim, leftover cabinets from our kitchen renovation, crazy amounts of clutter, not to mention my growing stockpile from couponing.
 
Here is what I came up with...
 
 
 
 
 
 
To save money I used leftover paint from our mudroom and my daughter's room.
 
 
 
I had my husband add a second set of wire shelves above the existing one to help organize my stockpile. We already had these laying around our garage so no cost!
 
 
I added a wood shelf above the washer and dryer for storage and to hide all those cords and wires. I found the wood in my parents barn and we already had some trim. The only thing I purchased were the iron brackets {50% off at Hobby Lobby @ $9.00 for two}.
 
 
I purchased some colorful fabric and ribbon {again at Hobby Lobby on sale} to make a skirt for my sink. I DO NOT sew so I used iron on hem tape for the edges and used my hot glue gun to attach everything to the sink!
 
 
Can't find the match to your sock...not a problem anymore!
Lost and found pallet board...free!
 
 
I used frames I already had and a little spray paint!
 
 
I fell in love with this cute printable...you can find it here.
 
 
The leftover kitchen cabinet got a makeover and I used chalkboard stickers to label the drawers.
 
 
The white baskets used to be in my daughter's room {I almost got rid of them last year}. I used the same chalkboard stickers to label them.
 
 
To brighten up the other side of the room I added a fabric window valance {of course it's made with iron on hem tape and hot glue}, a colorful paper banner, and some pallet artwork.
 
 
 
Just for fun some side by side comparisons...
 
 
I ended up spending around $65.00 total for the entire room! I had to get creative on my budget and use things I already had or make them myself.
 
I'm thrilled with how the room turned out! Now I have a HAPPY place to do laundry and an organizational system for our stockpile.
 
Now time for me to get some laundry done!
 
Have a wonderful day!
 
                                                                                                      Amy
 
 
linking up this week at...
 
 
 
 
 

TDC Before and After

37 comments:

  1. It looks very useful and organized.i love chalkboard stickers.Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cheerful & bright! Love it! Hopping over from Home Stories A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful makeover!! Ah, I'm loving the square footage of your laundry room. You did such a great job with the room! Would love for you to share this post at my weekly link party Life Created Tuesdays! Week three of the party is live now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love the saying in that one picture frame (although I disagree...I will not miss that laundry at all..haha). I also love the skirt you put around the wash basin. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your laundry room looks great!!! Maybe I'd like doing laundry a little more if my laundry room was as pretty as yours! :) I love all the cute little touches and how pretty and organized everything looks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! Yes, it does make doing laundry a little more enjoyable with a cute space. I'm loving it!

      Delete
  6. You made the room so bright and happy! I have the same striped rug in my laundry room too! I am going to make that same shelf you did--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not bad for $65! I love the fresh new look and your pallet sign is very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cheerful and organized!!! You did a great job!! Love the pallet sign!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful! What a transformation, and you only altered a few things. Love the printable in the white and pink frame. So sweet! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! Congratulations on a job well-done! I bet you love your new laundry room! My favorites are the skirt and the clothespin board... Good work, girl!
    It all come together so well....
    :)
    hugs x, Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took awhile {sometimes I didn't think it would ever get done} but it was worth the work because I love how it turned out.

      Delete
  11. Wow what a great transformation! I had to check out your link as soon as I saw the title - we are planning a laundry room DIY makeover as well!

    Great job! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply amazing!! You totally changed the feel & functionality of the room. Great job!!! I'm pinning this - we have a looming laundry closet redo, but don't have much money to do so... and I know I'll want to refer back to your budget project for inspiration. I'm also in love with that printable about piles and piles of laundry, a good reminder to keep it all in perspective :)
    Found you from Whatever Goes Wednesday.
    -Ali @ Crafty WI Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reusing what you already have is a great way to save money. Plus a few cans of spray paint can go a long way in changing the look of things. So happy you like the room! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  13. This is beautiful! I love it! It gives me hope for our dingy little laundry room. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just like you when I totally sold on my house as soon as I realized the laundry was on the second floor. It's amazingly easier to do laundry on the same floor as all the bedrooms. I love what you've done with your laundry room--especially the printable. I'd love to have that in my laundry area.
    I'm visiting from Whatever Goes Wednesday (#6 All Things Fall and 8 Six Dollar Fall Decor) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your new laundry room! It's so bright and cheery and I love how you saved money by using things you already had. The pop of pink paint is a fun touch. You did a great job!

    Lori
    Thrifty Decor Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta have a touch of girly pink! Thanks so much Lori!

      Delete
  16. So cute! This looks great!! I wish my laundry room was big enough to do something cute like this.. it is more of a laundry closet :/

    mywaytofitandfab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let that stop you, you can still have a super cute laundry closet!

      Delete
  17. What a fabulous transformation...you did a great job! It is so bright! This would be great to link up to Create It Thursday #21…it's live now! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The makeover looks FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for partying with us at LLR :) Sharing on twitter. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cute redo! I love how you reusec items you already had. I just did that with my "catch-all" closet in the kitchen. I think we all need to think about what we have around that we aren't using. I hope you love your new space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlett! I am totally in love with my new space {not so much with doing the laundry though}! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  20. What a great job! So much creativity in this laundry room and on your budget, wow. Two thumbs up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very functional and organized, and pretty too! Great makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lots of creativity to inspire a future laundry room makeover! -Michele @ Neat Little Nest

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable and so welcoming! My laundry space is drab and in serious need of revamping! Glad to see I'm not the only one who hoards the large bottles of Purex (lol). I've been finding them for under $5 at my local commissary. Visiting today from Titus Tuesday at Cornerstone Confessions. http://vintagehousewife.org/2013/10/01/technically-speaking/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL...great minds think alike! Gotta stock up on the laundry detergent especially with three kids! So glad you liked the room!

      Delete
  24. Love your Laundry room makeover. I would like to know where you got the pink mat on the photo frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frame and mat were just some that I had leftover from projects past. I painted the mat pink with spray paint!

      Delete