Friday, August 2, 2013

Zebra desk

Yesterday I shared my daughter's rearranged bedroom which included the zebra desk I painted. Today I want to show you how I did it.







We painted the inside of all the drawers pink for fun!



We started with just a basic wood desk from the local thrift shop. I gave the desk a quick cleaning and then my helper and I painted the inside of the drawers with leftover wall paint.



I gave the desk a coat of primer.

Once the primer was dry I gave the drawers a coat of white paint. The desk required two coats of black paint.

I found the zebra stencil at Hobby lobby {I paid less than $10.00 for stencil and sponge applicators}.

I taped the stencil on the drawer to keep it in place.

I went easy on the paint and just dabbed up and down.


I had to match up the pattern with the stencil to fill the negative space on the ends of the drawer.

Lastly we added some adorable knobs and pulls also from Hobby Lobby {wait until they are on sale for 50% off}.

Now my daughter has a desk that truly suits her taste and personality! It kind suits mine as well {well the younger me}!


Thanks so much for stopping by!

Have a wonderful weekend!

                                                                                         Amy

linking up to...
 

12 comments:

  1. great desk! I love Hobby Lobby-the knobs alone are awesome! A great way to change up a look easy-especially when they are 50% off, right!I use the same stencil on my things as well. Take a look-Thedecorativepaintbrush.blogspot.com I'm now following you on Pinterest! Again, great work :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! Can't wait to check out your blog! Thanks for following on Pinterest!

      Delete
  2. Love, love, love this desk!! It is super cute and fun!! I love the decorative pulls too!! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I kind of love it too! When we saw those knobs at the store we knew they would be perfect! Thanks for coming by!

      Delete
  3. Aww it looks adorable! I bet she is so excited for her new room. What a lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! Yes, she's happy to have her room completed and everything put away.

      Delete
  4. Hi Amy! What a fun project for you and your daughter! It is adorable! I just love the zebra stripes! The desk really looks nice against the pink walls! Great job! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the way the black and white pops off her bright pink walls. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Super cute. I bet she loves it! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh so Fun! My daughter would simply adore this makeover in her room! Love the color choices!

    ReplyDelete