Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dresser redo

This past May I picked up this ugly duckling dresser at a garage sale for $10.00.

She was in desperate need of a makeover, but I feel in love with the shape and knew it would be the perfect size for our dining room.

However, she sat in our garage for most of May, all of June, and all the July. I walked by her {yes, in my mind it's a she} everyday and began to second guess myself. "What was I thinking, look at all those scratches, this might be too much work for me". 

Finally, last week I decided it was now or never and got to work.

Here she is today...




Brace yourself for the before...






I started by removing all the hardware and the "fancy things" on the top drawer and very bottom. 

I gave it a good sanding and cleaning.

I used a spray primer made for plastic outdoor furniture since this piece has a veneer like finish.

Since I wanted stripes on the top I spray painted the entire top blue. Then I measured and marked my stripes with painters tape. 

Then I gave the piece several coats of white paint {about three}.

Since she does have some dings and scratches on her I decided to go with it and sanded off some of the white paint afterwards for a distressed look.

Lastly, I spray painted the original hardware. Not sure if I'll keep the hardware or not it's a little ornate. I might look for something else down the road.

I'm so happy that I finally fixed her up. Now she looks fabulous in my "work in progress" dining room!


                                                                                       Amy



Linking up this week to...

28 comments:

  1. Love it!!! And I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, girl! SHE'S WONDERFUL! I love it. And, I love your color choice - the bold pattern on the top - everything about it! Thanks so much for sharing!

    Have a great week!
    -Heather
    Stringtown Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks pretty cool! I love furniture re-dos, not least because new furniture is so expensive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I love working with what I already have to same some dinero!

      Delete
  4. This looks really lovely - I love the colour.

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a amazing transformation, I love the new look of your dresser. The strips are a great fresh looking addition. Nice Work! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how this turned out! Great job. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's beautiful! We kept the dresser my husband had during his high school, punk, skater phase. Needless to say it needs a lot of work! I have big plans though, and hope to re-finish it for the nursery. Thanks for the inspiration and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! And you're right, those embellishments on that top drawer had to go :-) Thanks for sharing at The Fun In Functional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I'm so glad I tour those babies off the dresser!

      Delete
  9. Oh my this is gorgeous!! LOVE it!! Hope you can link up at my trendy tuesday party!! http://www.sweetlittlegals.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This turned out so cute. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/apple-cinnamon-roll-pull-aparts-and.html
    I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry this is late, but better late then never. Thanks so much for sharing with last weeks with Wednesday's Adorned From Above. The link party is open now for this week.
      Debi Bolocofsky
      www.adornedfromabove.com

      Delete
  11. The dresser is really pretty. I love the striped treatment on the top. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the stripes!! I shared on my facebook wall!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking up to Shabbilicious Friday this week Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the redo. The stripes look beautiful. Megan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Look just pretty as can be, Amy! Aren't you glad you picked that one up now that you are all done? I love stripes too!
    Thank you for sharing this week at the Creative Inspirations party at Embracing Change!
    Stacey :o)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! I love the stripes on top! I have a similar dresser I just painted white for my daughter's room. I think I'm going to add some stripes now! It adds the perfect touch! Thanks for the idea and thanks for sharing at Terrific Tuesdays.
    Rachel
    adventuresofadiymom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those stripes are fabulous -- and getting rid of those top drawer "thingies" made a huge difference!! Thanks for sharing on Busy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice job - I love how it turned out!! So cute.

    Thanks for sharing it at Take it on Tuesday!!

    Betsy @ Romance on a dime
    http://romanceonadime.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is awesome! What some paint will do!?!?!?!? I'd love for you to share it at my linky party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It's every Tuesday. Hope you can stop by!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the stripes on this! I'm featuring you this week on Well Crafted Wednesdays! Stop on by!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job. Love the before and after!! Thanks for linking up to Tasty Thursdays at The Mandatory Mooch. Hope you will link up again this week. The party will be live tonight. www.mandatorymooch.blogspot.com

    Thanks, Nichi

    ReplyDelete